- The Information we collect
You are not ordinarily required to register or provide personal information in order to access our Website. However, in order to use certain functionalities provided on or through the Website, such as the contact us feature, answering surveys and polls, signing up for email updates and announcements, registering for volunteer positions or events, making online donations and purchasing merchandise, we may need to collect personal information. This information may include your name and contact information (such as postal address, telephone numbers and/or e-mail address), optional info about demographics, as well as your payment information, such as credit card number and expiration date ("Payment Information"), which we collect if you wish to purchase any product or service made available through the Website ("Transaction"), make a donation, register for an event or become a member.
When you visit our Website, certain information is collected automatically.
See “Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies” below.
- How We Use and Share Personal Information
We may use and share personal information in the following ways:
- Communications. We encourage Website visitors to contact us with questions and comments. Personal Information may be used in order to respond to your questions and comments.
- Business Purposes. We may use your personal information for internal business purposes, such as analyzing and managing our operations. The personal information you provide through the Website may be combined with other information you provide (via online or offline means), with demographic information and other information that is publicly available, or with other information about you that Autism Speaks Canada may otherwise obtain online or offline.
- Transactions. When you take part in a Transaction through the Website such as purchasing merchandise or making a donation, we may collect Payment Information from you related to such Transaction as well as other personal information such as a shipping address so that we can send you the products you have purchased or send other relevant information such as your charitable tax receipt. We may use your personal information, including Payment Information, in order to complete the Transaction and, if applicable, to fulfill your purchase. We may also provide such Payment Information to third parties as necessary to complete your Transaction (for example, to process your credit card).
- Auctions, contests, and other promotions. We may operate auctions, contests and similar promotions through the Website that may require online registration (which may include name, email, user ID and password). We typically ask you for certain personal information when you enter and, if applicable, win an auction, contest or similar promotion. We may share this personal information with third parties and sponsors of such auctions, contests and promotions (irrespective of whether it is hosted by us), or otherwise in accordance with the rules applicable to such auctions, contests or promotions. You should carefully review the rules of each auction, contest and promotion in which you participate through the Website, as they may contain additional important information about our organization’s (or a sponsor’s) use of your personal information. To the extent that the terms and conditions of such rules concerning the treatment of your personal information conflict with this Policy, the terms and conditions of such rules shall govern.
- Special Promotions and Information. In addition, Autism Speaks Canada may use your personal information to provide you with e-mail updates and announcements. You may opt-out of receiving these messages from us at any time (see "Contact Us" below).
- Critical Communications. From time to time we may use your personal information to email you important information regarding your Transactions, or changes to our terms, conditions, and policies ("Critical E-mails"). Because this information may be critical to your use of the Website, you may not opt-out of receiving these emails.
- Third Party Service Providers. We work with third parties who provide services, including web site hosting, credit card processing, data analysis, newsletter services, promotional activities, and other administrative services. We may share your personal information with such third parties for the purpose of enabling such third parties to provide such services. Some of these third parties may be located outside of Canada, including in the United States
- Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies.
When you visit and interact with the Website, Autism Speaks Canada and third parties contracted to provide services to Autism Speaks Canada may automatically collect information from three sources: server log files, cookies, and "pixel tags".
- Server Log Files. Your Internet Protocol (IP) address is an identifying number that is automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). This number is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you visit the Website, along with the time(s) of your visit(s) and the page(s) that you visited. We use the IP addresses of all Visitors to calculate Website usage levels, to help diagnose problems with the Website’s servers, and to administer the Website. We may also use IP addresses to communicate or to block access by Visitors who fail to comply with our Terms of Service. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice on the Internet and is carried out automatically by many web sites.
- Pixel Tags. The Website may use so-called "pixel tags," "web beacons," "clear GIFs" or similar means (collectively, "Pixel Tags") to compile aggregate statistics about Website usage and response rates. Pixel Tags allow us to count users who have visited certain pages of the Website, to deliver branded services, and to help determine the effectiveness of promotional or educational materials. When used in HTML-formatted e-mail messages, Pixel Tags can tell the sender whether and when the e-mail has been opened.
Autism Speaks Canada uses this information to enhance the security of our Website, track the popularity of certain pages of the Website, the success of our email notifications, traffic levels on the Website and other usage data, all of which helps us to provide content tailored to your interests, improve the Website and related services and to otherwise enhance your experience on the Website and with our organization. We may share this information in aggregate form with affiliated entities and other third parties.
- Other Important Notes Regarding Our Privacy Practices
- Special Note for Parents. Autism Speaks Canada takes seriously its obligations concerning the collection of personal information from individuals under the age of thirteen (13). The Website is not directed at children, and we request that children under the age of 13 not provide personal information through the Website.
- Security. We have security measures and tools in place to help protect against the loss, theft, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control. Any time you provide us with your credit card number, that credit card number is transmitted to us by your browser in an encrypted format using industry-standard, SSL (secure socket layer) encryption. No method of transmitting or storing data is completely secure. As a result, although we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us through or in connection with the Website. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please notify us immediately by contacting us in accordance with "Contact Us," below (note that physical mail notification will delay the time it takes for us to respond to the problem).
- Updating Your Information and Contacting Us
Autism Speaks Canada has procedures in place to keep Personal Information accurate, complete and up to date for the purposes for which it is collected and used. You may review the information we have collected and where appropriate you may request that it be corrected. We also provide you with several options for reviewing, correcting, updating or otherwise modifying information you have previously provided:
1. You may email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. You may call us at 1-888-362-6227
3. You may send mail to the following postal mail address:
2450 Victoria Park Avenue, Unit 400, Toronto, Ontario, M2J 4A2
Please clearly indicate the information that you wish to review or have changed. We will endeavor to comply with your request as soon as reasonably possible.
Note that despite any removal of or change to personal information requested there may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records.
From time to time, we may ask you to indicate whether you are interested in receiving emails and other information from Autism Speaks Canada. If you elect to receive these communications, we will occasionally send you e-mails or other information that match your requests.
If at any time you wish to stop receiving these email communications from us, please let us know by emailing, calling or writing to us using the contact information listed above in Contacting Us. Please indicate that you wish to stop receiving email communications from us.
- Accountability for Personal Information
Autism Speaks Canada is responsible for personal information under its control. Autism Speaks Canada’s national and regional/district offices and chapters/chapters-in-development/affiliates are responsible for data they receive from researchers, donors, volunteers, and other stakeholders. Autism Speaks Canada's designated Privacy Officers are the Operational Director and the Executive Director of the Autism Speaks Canada IBD Research Institute and Scientific Liaison.